Make Black Friday Green
Are you dreaming of a green Christmas? Holiday shopping can be festive and environmentally friendly, with these ten green gift ideas:
- Keep someone warm with a Patagonia fleece jacket, made with recycled soda bottles.
- For the budding environmentalist on your list, Garnet Hill sells an “eco-lover’s” dollhouse, complete with a recycling bin, solar panels, wind turbines and a garden fertilized by compost.
- Purchase a service on Amazon or iTunes to let someone download movies or episodes of their favorite TV shows – this eliminates the shipping and packaging associated with movies and boxed DVD sets.
- For the cook in your family, buy Cuisinart’s line of “Greenware” pots and pans made with a non-stick ceramic surface instead of Teflon.
- For the dog-lover among you, Olive Super Poop Bags are a way to clean up after Spot without the guilt. Made from vegetable oil and corn starch, the bags are biodegradable.
- Home decorators might like the flip-flop doormat that Gaiam sells, made from repurposed sandals.
- If you’re handy, make your own gifts using household items.
- Purchase an animal, such as a goat or llama, for a family that could use its milk or fur, through Heifer International.
- Bake treats for friends and family.
- When in doubt, regift!